- Morning and evening, after serum, before moisturizer
- Face, neck and décolleté
- Hydration, moisture, fine lines, texture
- All skin types
This facial skin formula is a go-to for smoothing rough, creased skin. It provides near-instant hydration in the way your skin recognizes it: through hyaluronic acid (HA).
This product has also demonstrated positive, long-term effects with regards to fine lines and wrinkles, as well as texture. When following up with clinical study participants at weeks 1, 4 and 8, researchers observed improvements with continual, twice-daily use of this product. In addition, questionnaire results showed that:
At week 1: 96% of participants noticed an improvement in skin smoothness and softness.
At week 4: 88% of participants agreed that their skin was more radiant, and wrinkles had been reduced.
At week 8: 87% of participants agreed their skin felt rejuvenated.
Of course, there are many hyaluronic acid products on the market today. So why is this one any different?
It all started with the scientific knowledge that most topical HA products can’t actually penetrate the epidermis, let alone the dermis, where most of our body’s natural HA resides. Hyaluronic acid also degrades quickly when it sits on top of the skin. Plus, since aged skin contains fewer HA receptors (mainly the one called CD44), it has a harder time bonding to externally-applied HA.
Researchers at SkinMedica® sought to solve this problem by producing an hyaluronic acid product that would actually work, and they did!
Why we think HA5™ is the best hyaluronic acid skin product you can find:
The power of the HA5™ treatment is rooted in SkinMedica’s VITISENSCE® Technology. This proprietary formula is made with a key ingredient: vitis flower stem cell extract. It also includes peptides and natural, marine microorganism polysaccharides.
Firstly, the vitis flower itself, as well as hyaluronic acid, act as antioxidants. This means they fight free radical damage in the skin. In fact, skin models that were pre-treated with HA5™, and later exposed to UVB rays, came out far less damaged than untreated skin. This is important because photodamaged skin also becomes dehydrated skin.
But the VITISENSCE® Technology does a lot more than fight free radicals.
With regards to hydration, it helps your skin produce its own hyaluronic acid. This is critical because, as noted above, topical hyaluronic acid doesn’t penetrate the skin barrier. But, a stem cell ingredient can! And, when it reaches your skin’s layers, it can tell special enzymes, called hyaluronic acid synthases, to start creating hyaluronic acid. When your skin is thus hydrated, cells become active again, which leads to overall skin health.
In this way, the HA5™ formula retrains your skin. It ‘tells’ it to start producing hyaluronic acid, as well as to prevent its degradation (which happens rapidly in aging skin).
This formula also gives your skin a big ‘jump start’ by including the types of hyaluronic acid it needs. Instead of just containing one strain of HA, it contains five different forms of it. These come in multiple, chemistry-based structures (such as cross linked, uncrossed, time-released encapsulated, nano and sodium hyaluronate).
The idea is to ‘load up’ your skin on water hydration, using various functions of HA that your skin can use, in different ways. If you’re familiar with low-molecular weight and high-molecular weight HA, this formula includes all of them, and more.
Together, these work to help your skin build a barrier. Then, through the VITISENSCE® Technology, it can later maintain its own hyaluronic acid, naturally.
This is what makes it completely different in function to a ‘normal’ hydrator.
A few helpful things to know about this product:
This product goes on with wet fingers, to cleansed and toned skin, before SPF or moisturizer. Use it morning and evening on the face, neck and décolleté.
As a top-layer hydration treatment, this product can be combined with TNS Essential Serum®, which is designed to work on wrinkles and signs of aging much deeper in the epidermis.
This product is not the same as a moisturizer, nor is it meant to be used as a serum. Moisturizers contain occlusive (i.e. oil-based) ingredients to ‘lock in’ your skin’s water content. Since hyaluronic acid can bind to 1000 times its weight in water, it can also evaporate out of your skin, if your environment is dry. This is why following with a moisturizer after using this product is so important. Moisturizing helps hyaluronic acid work better in your skin!
Try these amazing moisturizers from our shop:
- TNS® Ceramide Treatment Cream – a skin barrier restoring cream with added growth factors, to help fight signs of aging.
- Rejuvenative Moisturizer – a vitamin-enriched moisturizer with even more hyaluronic acid and other humectants (hydrators).
- Ultra Sheer Moisturizer – a vitamin-enriched, non-comedogenic, oil-free moisturizer for acne-prone skin.
- Dermal Repair Cream – a ‘heavy’ moisturizer for ultra-dry skin, enriched with vitamins, antioxidants and skin soothers to fight inflammation.
- Pep Up® Collagen Renewal Face & Neck Treatment – a non-comedogenic, collagen-building, free-radical fighting moisturizer, with hyaluronic acid.
Important: do not use this product if you have an allergy to milk products. It contains a milk-based whey protein.
Before & afters gallery showing results of studies using HA5™ Rejuvenating Hydrator
Click on a thumbnail to open up a gallery, and see larger versions of the images.
- Narurkar VA, Fabi SG, Bucay VW et al. Rejuvenating hydrator: Restoring epidermal hyaluronic acid homeostasis with instant benefits. J Drugs Dermatol. 2016; 15(1 Suppl):s24-37. Click here to view (opens a new tab).
- Fabi SG, Zaleski-Larsen L, Bolton J, et al. Optimizing Facial Rejuvenation with a Combination of a Novel Topical Serum and Injectable Procedure to increase Patient Outcomes and Satisfaction. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2017; 10(12):14-18. Click here to view (opens a new tab).