Cosmeceutical tinted sunscreens in Canada
We know that daily sunscreen use is an absolute must when it comes to preventing or treating nearly all skin issues, from wrinkles, to brown spots, to acne, to rosacea and everything in between. But, why use a tinted sunscreen? And, why a cosmeceutical sunscreen?
Even if you don’t want to use a tinted sunscreen every day, there are multiple benefits to keeping this type of product in your skin care bag or drawer. They include:
- Tinted sunscreen is an excellent go-to for days when you want ultra sheer, makeup-style coverage, without using a true makeup foundation. It feels lighter than makeup, too. However, it can still be layered underneath a foundation, if desired.
- Traditional, mineral-based sunscreens are often associated with leaving a white cast. Typically, this white cast can go away after a while. It’s also not as much of an issue with modern formulas using nano-sized particles of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. These are the main ingredients causing the white hue. Some people even like the whitening effect. However, tinted sunscreens avoid this problem by adding a hint of beige pigment to their formulas.
- Many sunscreens (both tinted and untinted) can also provide moisturization. Depending on how dry your skin is, this may allow you to combine steps in your morning skincare routine.
- The pigment used in most tinted sunscreens (especially mineral sunscreens) comes from iron oxides. Iron oxides are minerals found in many cosmetics. They come in a variety of shades on the red-to-brown spectrum. However, lately they are being touted for their ability to block blue light (i.e. HEV light). These spectrums are emitted from computer screens and devices. Aside from UVA and UVB rays, blue light can also cause signs of aging. Thus, tinted sunscreen has become an even more popular choice.
- Cosmeceutical sunscreens often contain added skin conditioners and antioxidants to help fight against free radical damage. They are also typically well-made to avoid sticky-ness, thickness and pore-clogging effects. They spread easily on the skin.
Below are a few tips for choosing and using a tinted sunscreen:
- While the pigments in tinted sunscreens are usually sheer enough to blend with a variety of skin tones, pick one that’s closest to your skin range. E.g. if you are dark-skinned, try a bronze-coloured tinted sunscreen. If you are lighter skinned, opt for a lighter tint, to avoid appearing ‘orange.’
- A great option for redness and rosacea sufferers is the All Calm™ Clinical Redness Corrector SPF 50 by Colorescience®. It has very slight green undertones to help neutralize redness. It also calms redness as a clinical treatment, too.*
- Those with melasma or hyperpigmentation can benefit from the Even Up® Clinical Pigment Perfector® SPF 50 by Colorescience®. It helps to lighten the skin’s dark spots, while also protecting from the UV rays that caused them in the first place.*
- A tinted, combination sunscreen, such as the Total Defense + Repair Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 34 by SkinMedica® may ‘sink in’ to the skin easier than a mineral-only sunscreen. A “combination sunscreen” refers to a sunscreen that uses both mineral and chemical UV filters. Those with sensitive skin may experience irritation more easily with chemical-based UV filters.
- While high-quality, mineral makeup products correctly claim SPF coverage, note that these products alone are not enough to give adequate protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays. You should still use an underlayer of sunscreen every day, and reapply every two hours.
- A tinted powder sunscreen, such as the Sunforgettable® Total Protection™ Brush-on Shield SPF 50, can be reapplied over makeup, for all-day protection.
If you want to be sure you’re choosing a quality sunscreen that’s right for you, learn more about this topic at the following link on our website:
*Please consult a doctor if you are aiming to treat symptoms of redness, rosacea, melasma or darkening of the skin.
Showing all 6 results
Sunforgettable® Total Protection™ Face Shield SPF 50 w/ EnviroScreen® (2 Shade Options)$53.00 CAD Options
Sunforgettable® Total Protection™ Brush-on Shield SPF 50 w/ EnviroScreen™ (4 Shade Options)$85.20 CAD Options
Sunforgettable® Total Protection™ Body Shield SPF 50 w/ EnviroScreen® (2 Shade Options)$61.00 CAD Options
All Calm™ Clinical Redness Corrector SPF 50 by Colorescience® (Tinted)$162.50 CAD Add to cart
Even Up® Clinical Pigment Perfector® SPF 50 by Colorescience® (Tinted)$162.50 CAD Add to cart
Total Defense + Repair Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 34 (Tinted)$75.00 CAD Add to cart