- Apply twice daily to the face (including eye area and lips) for two weeks before an injectable treatment (e.g. dermal fillers, neuromodulators, thread lifts, etc.).
- Continue to apply twice-daily after an injectable treatment.
- Can also be used before and after some laser treatments.
- Preventing bruises before and after an injectable treatment.
- Quickly healing bruises after they occur.
- Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory skin defense.
When you have a scheduled aesthetic injection coming up, you know it’ll be a drag to wait for bruises to heal, if you get them.
Of course, you can do a lot to prevent bruising by not drinking alcohol or taking blood thinners before getting ‘beauty poked.’ But, you can go the extra mile to help clear up those blue-brown-yellow spots.
Pre/Post Inject cream by Functionalab contains several active ingredients to prevent bruises, and to quickly heal them after they happen. It does this by:
- Supporting the elasticity and impermeability of capillaries and blood vessels
- Improving vasoconstriction
- Increasing microcirculation
- Stimulating blood reabsorption
- Reducing inflammation
- Fighting free radical damage
Its ‘star’ ingredient, arnica, has been shown to be as effective as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Arnica is also a known anti-inflammatory in the treatment of pain, as well as an antioxidant and antimicrobial agent.
When using this product in a study with 20 patients:
- 40% did not experience any bruising after injections
- 10% experienced less bruising than placebo counterparts
- 75% experienced less bruising (compared to previous injections)
- 80% experienced faster healing
The patients used the cream for two weeks before their dermal filler injection, and until their bruises went away. The average age of participants was 52.
Notable skin care ingredients
The Pre/Post Inject cream is far from being an ordinary arnica cream. It prevents and battles bruises with the following additional ingredients meant for strengthening blood vessels.
5% Arnica Phytotonine™ – a proprietary blend of Arnica Montana, Cypress and Solomon’s Seal meant to improve microcirculation and strengthen the walls of blood vessels and capillaries.
3% niacinamide – also known as Vitamin B3, this ingredient helps to improve blood circulation and reduce inflammation, among its many other benefits when applied topically.
2% Vitamin K – the famous blood-clotting enzyme, Vitamin K in its topical form is known to reduce bruising and purpura (i.e. bleeding under the skin). In particular, it has been shown to be an effective, post-procedure healing aid following laser cosmetic procedures. See here and here for more on its study findings.
Heparinoid – a synthetic, pharmacological preparation used for preventing blood clots and bruises.
Vitis Vinifera leaf extract – also known as red grape leaf extract, this ingredient works to stimulate microcirculation, reduce inflammation, fight free radicals, stop bleeding, and more.
Argan oil extract – a Moroccan tree kernel oil that speeds wound healing thanks to its rich Vitamin E content. It also acts as an emollient, antioxidant, antibacterial and antifungal agent.
Cholesterol – a non-greasy emollient to help moisturize, protect and strengthen the skin barrier function, thus reducing the potential for skin breakage and further bleeding.