- Morning and evening
- Face and neck
- Wrinkles, skin texture, skin tone
- All skin types
This is the second generation product in the TNS® line of growth factor products. It’s an anti-aging face, neck and décolleté serum, with two chambers that feed into one pump. It’s used to fight fine lines, improve skin tone and smooth skin texture.
The first chamber contains the TNS Recovery Complex®, which is where the human growth factor proteins are. The TNS Recovery Complex® is also available as a singular, separate product. However, you get more benefits by using it alongside the second chamber of ingredients which are in this product.
The second chamber contains the patented, APS Corrective Complex. This is a mixture of peptides (for strength and texture), antioxidants (to prevent aging), a skin brightener (to reduce dark spots) and hyaluronic acid (for moisture retention).
Results from using this product have been documented in as little as 30 days. That is, with morning and evening usage on cleansed and toned skin (beneath other products). Though, it performs best when used for at least 90 days, and continually thereafter.
In a study of 37 patients, 92% of participants rated their skin as looking healthier and more youthful, after 3 months of using this product. Initial results began after just 30 days.
TNS® growth factors come in a skincare line by SkinMedica®. The series also includes:
- TNS® Advanced+ Serum (the latest, most advanced growth factor product from SkinMedica®)
- TNS Recovery Complex®, also noted above
- TNS® Ceramide Treatment Cream
- TNS® Illuminating Eye Cream
- TNS® Eye Repair
Notable skin care ingredients:
This two-in-one product is jam-packed with beneficial skin care ingredients. Many are useful for hydrating and moisturizing. However, the ‘punch’ is in the many forms of antioxidants that help fight signs of aging like wrinkles, dryness and hyperpigmentation. Some of the ‘star’ ingredients in this product are as follows:
Human Fibroblast Conditioned Media – A stand-alone in one of the chambers, this is the original, 93.6% concentration of Tissue Nutrient Solution (TNS®). TNS® contains growth factors, cytokines, antioxidants and matrix proteins. Learn more about this serum, here.
Alpha-arbutin – a tyrosinase enzyme inhibitor and thus, a skin lightener, useful for fighting dark spots and evening out skin tone. It works by slowly releasing hydroquinone, without the irritation that hydroquinone can cause over time. This version of the compound is stronger than both arbutin and beta arbutin.
Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate – a fat soluble, stable form of Vitamin C, acting as an antioxidant against free radicals that tend to destroy skin’s necessary lipids. It can also be helpful when fighting hyperpigmentation.
Tocopherol, tocotrienols and tocopheryl acetate – different forms of Vitamin E, useful as an antioxidant to fight cell damage from free radicals.
Ubiquinone – also known as coenzyme Q10 or CoQ10, this antioxidant works best at the top layers of skin, to fight signs of aging.
Dipalmitoyl hydroxyproline – a peptide for creating collagen in the skin. However, this peptide is special since it has properties to prevent collagen degradation.
Blackberry leaf extract – an anti-aging helper, this ingredient provides strong antioxidant protection with multiple vitamins.
Saccharomyces ferment lysate filtrate – made from wheat, this is a probiotic with minerals, amino acids, and vitamins. It’s used to fight wrinkles, pigmentation and dryness.
Palmitoyl tripeptide-5 – a peptide to improve texture and smoothness in the skin.
Ergothioneine – an amino acid from mushrooms that serves as an antioxidant in the skin, to fight sun damage and other signs of aging.
Camellia oleifera leaf extract – an antioxidant, from the green tea family. It’s also found in the Facial Cleanser by SkinMedica®.
Phospholipids – these are skin hydration protectors. They also aid other ingredients in penetrating the skin.
Glycerin – also known as glycerol, this ingredient acts as a humectant, drawing water into the skin. It helps the skin absorb other beneficial ingredients, and to withstand irritation.
Squalene – a skin moisturizer and antioxidant, helpful for fighting free radicals that cause hyperpigmentation and wrinkles.
Olea europaea (olive) fruit unsaponifiables – an emollient to soften the skin and provide squalane (different from squalene).
Sodium hyaluronate – a common form of hyaluronic acid (HA), which acts as a water-binder in the skin. Get more forms of HA, to penetrate your skin more deeply, with the HA5™ Rejuvenating Hydrator by SkinMedica®.
Cetearyl alcohol – a beneficial, hydrating fatty alcohol.
Butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter – a plant-derived moisturizer for soothing the skin.
Cetyl ethylhexanoate – an emollient combination of cetyl alcohol and ethylhexanoic acid, acting as skin smoothing agent.
*Note: the ingredients above are NOT listed in the order in which they appear on the ingredients list on TNS Essential Serum® packaging. They are not indicative of potency, strength or volume in the product.
Before & afters gallery showing results of studies using TNS Essential Serum®
Click on a thumbnail to open up a gallery, and see larger versions of the images.
- Sundaram H, Mehta RC, Norine JA, Kircik L, Cook-Bolden FE, Atkins DH, Wershler WP, Fitzpatrick RE. Topically applied physiologically balanced growth factors: a new paradigm of skin rejuvenation. J Drugs Dermatol. 2009;8s:4-13. Click here to view (opens a new tab).
- Atkin DH, Trookman NC, Rizer RL, et al. Combination of Physiologically Balanced Growth Factors with Antioxidants for Reversal of Facial Photodamage. J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2010:12:14-20. Click here to view (opens a new tab).
- Kadoya K, Makino ET, Jiang LI, Bachelor M, Chung R, Tan P, Cheng T, Naughton GK, Mehta RC. Upregulation of Extracellular Matrix Genes Corroborates Clinical Efficacy of Human Fibroblast-Derived Growth Factors in Skin Rejuvenation. J Drugs Dermatol. 2017 Dec 1;16(12):1190-1196. Click here to view (opens a new tab). Note: this study included both TNS Essential Serum® (this product) and TNS Recovery Complex®.
- Herndon JH,Makino ET, Jiang LI, et al. Long-term Multi-product Facial Regimen in Subjects with Moderate-to-Severe Photodamage and Hyperpigmentation. J Clin Aesth Dermatol. 2015;8(8):16-21.Click here to view (opens a new tab). Note: this study included TNS Essential Serum® (this product), Lytera®, and Retinol Complex 0.5.