- Mix with a booster first, then use as a cleanser, morning and evening, as needed.
- Face, neck and chest, as needed.
- General, mild exfoliation.
- All skin types, especially acne-prone or hyperpigmented skin.
This is our acne face wash solution of choice, when combined with the Acne Control Booster, also made by PRESCRIBEDsolutions®.
As a base cleanser, it contains both alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA), in the form of 7% glycolic acid, plus 0.2% salicylic acid as its beta-hydroxy acid (BHA). It also contains plant-based skin soothers (green tea and aloe), and then Lutein as an antioxidant.
Unlike the AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser by SkinMedica®, which contains jojoba spheres as mechanical exfoliants, on top of AHA and BHA, this face wash is a foaming one, with chemical exfoliants and cleansers only.
When you add the Acne Control Booster to Starting Up/Face®, a host of beneficial, acne-fighting ingredients work synergistically to clear up your breakouts. That’s when the ‘action’ is ‘kicked up a notch’ with bacteria fighters, oil strippers and more antioxidants.
What are AHAs and BHAs?
AHA and BHA acids are considered chemical exfoliants, as opposed to mechanical ones. They work to clear out dead skin cells, dirt and oil without the ‘scrubbing’ of small particles, or a face brush. Both types of exfoliation are fine, but should be used cautiously, since the skin can get irritated if it is over-exfoliated.
AHA and BHA acids are comparable, but target different needs in the skin. BHA works deeply, and can penetrate through oil (it is oil soluble). AHAs accelerate skin shedding near the top layers of skin, and help to stimulate collagen production. Together, these acids give you a more comprehensive treatment for your skin needs.
A few helpful things to know about this product:
If your skin is new to exfoliants, or you experience mild acne (stage 1 or 2), you may find the AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser better for you. For stage 3 or 4 acne, it is likely that you’ll need the strength of this product, with the Acne Control Booster. The AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser is also used for cases of hyperpigmentation, or as a general, anti-aging exfoliant.
When working on a regimen to clear up your acne, we recommend this product combination be used with:
- TNS Recovery Complex® (morning)
- HA5™ Rejuvenating Hydrator (morning and evening)
- Rejuvenative Moisturizer by SkinMedica® (morning and evening)
- Retinol Complex 1, 0.5 or 0.25 (evening, starting with .25 if you’ve never used retinol before, and only on the advice of a doctor, but never while pregnant)
- Line Subtractor® with more Acne Control Booster (evening)
- Daily Physical Defense® Sunscreen (broad spectrum SPF 34, untinted) or Sunforgettable® Total Protection™ Face Shield (broad spectrum SPF 50, tinted) (morning)
- Sunforgettable® Total Protection™ Brush-on Shield SPF 50 w/ EnviroScreen™ (morning, and every 2 hours until evening)
However, we suggest you get in touch with us so we can help you decide on a mix of products that’s right for you.